Just as there are all types of people and a multitude of pains that need healing, there are many ways to pray and find healing through prayer and meditation. This program, grounded in the ministry of Jesus and the Christian faith tradition, offers you ten approaches that can be used to tap into the Divine Presence within you to access your spiritual energy for healing and transformation. You may want to read the prayer experiences on your own and use the reflection questions for private spiritual growth. You might also consider discussing your ideas in small groups, with your spouse, or with friends. Regardless of the method you select, this program is intended to help you develop a deeper appreciation of inner healing prayer as a powerful tool in dealing with the problems of anxiety, anger, rejection, stress, guilt and loneliness.
Part One offers a historical overview and explains Jesus' outlook on healing, the Christian Church's teachings about healing, the relationship between healing and the presence of the Divine in times of suffering. It also presents a practical rationale for inner healing prayer and suggests ways to find spiritual transformation in everyday life.
Part Two presents ten different healing prayer experiences:
1. Healing of Memories Prayer: inviting the Holy One into a painful memory to break through the past with the power of grace in the present.
2. Forgiveness Prayer: asking Jesus to accompany you on a journey to give and receive forgiveness and healing in a painful relationship(s)
3. Journal Prayer: using the intuitive powers of the mind to reveal the presence of the Infinite within you
4. Centering Prayer: passing beyond thoughts, images, and feelings to rest in Divine Love.
5. Scripture Prayer: moving into the details and emotions of a biblical passage to listen to the Holy One speaking personally from within the text
6. Fantasy Prayer (guided imagery prayer): using the imagination to set the stage for a prayerful encounter with an inclusive God who is beyond all names (Creator, Holy Wisdom/Sacred Mystery/Abba/Amma/Christ) and present in every faith tradition and beyond all religions.
7. Relaxation Prayer: releasing stressful situations/relationships to God/ your Higher Power and discovering the Holy One's abiding indwelling, tender presence everywhere
8. Healing Affirmations for Daily Living: affirming messages from the Spirit within you
9. Prayer for Healing Families, Races, Nations, Religions and Earth: expanding consciousness to fully know that all are one
10. Prayer of the Sufferer: encountering Divine Compassion in the midst of pain, unanswered questions, and puzzling mysteries
As we experience the abundant love of Divine Presence dwelling within us and energizing us, we can rejoice in our identity as beloved images of God. We can celebrate a new freedom that liberates us from bonds that limit our spiritual potential, learn to forgive and ask forgiveness with greater courage, become more aware of our own growing edges, and develop greater compassion for others.
I hope you will reap rich rewards from this exploration into inner healing prayer and from your experience of the power of grace illuminating your path to the "peace that surpasses understanding."(Philippians 4:7)
Dr. Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP